• CALL
    BACK

Want to chat?

Our consultants are on standby, fill in your details and chat online
Please enter your name
Name must contain some letters
Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email

Want to chat?

This functionality is no longer available. and we'll call you back.
{{item.value}}
Agent
{{item.displayName}}
typing...
This chat session is no longer active.
Please enter a message
Max length limited to 500 characters

We have not received a response from you in a while. Please respond to keep the chat active. You will be disconnected in {{chatmeControl.ChatMe.userTimeOut}} seconds.

Want to chat?

This functionality is no longer available. Please leave your details here and we'll call you back.

Let us call you back!

Please enter a name
Name must contain some letters
Please enter a contact number
Please enter a valid contact number
Please select a reason

Please select a suitable date and time

Please select a suitable date
Please select a suitable time

Thank You

Thank you for your details, we will contact you shortly!

Auto & General Blog – Chocolate blog

Wednesday, 13 April 2022

While you may be tempted to share a chocolate Easter egg treat with your furry friend, it is a huge no no.  In fact, chocolate is toxic. Just how toxic it is depends on numerous factors like the type of chocolate, the size and weight of the dog and how much of it was eaten.

 

According to Hills Pet Nutrition, chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains theobromine and to a lesser extent, caffeine. Humans metabolise theobromine easily, but dogs do not. Dogs process theobromine and caffeine slowly, which allows these toxic compounds to build up in their systems and cause clinical signs associated with chocolate toxicity.

 

If your dog happens to find your chocolate stash, and consumes all the Easter treats, it must be seen as a medical emergency. You are advised to contact your vet immediately for advice. In such cases, pet insurance comes in handy. It ensures that you are covered for unexpected emergencies. 

 

According to the American Kennel Club, signs of chocolate poisoning usually appear within 6 to 12 hours after your dog has eaten it, and may last up to 72 hours. These include the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Restlessness
  • Increased urination
  • Tremors
  • Elevated or abnormal heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Collapse and death

 

If you would like to see how chocolate will affect your dog, based on its size, weight and the amount consumed, you can also make use of this calculator on VetsNow.com:  https://www.vets-now.com/dog-chocolate-toxicity-calculator/.

 

Rely on Auto & General for your pet insurance and choose from three plans. These will allow you to select the one best suited to your needs and finances. All our plans are backed by our Service Promise – which we have extended to Pet Insurance.

 

 

 


Auto & General Blog – FIA blog
Auto & General Blog – Easter road safety