Want to chat?

Our consultants are on standby, fill in your details and chat online
Please enter your name
Name must contain some letters
Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email

Want to chat?

This functionality is no longer available. and we'll call you back.
This chat session is no longer active.
Please enter a message
Max length limited to 500 characters

We have not received a response from you in a while. Please respond to keep the chat active. You will be disconnected in {{chatmeControl.ChatMe.userTimeOut}} seconds.

Want to chat?

This functionality is no longer available. Please leave your details here and we'll call you back.

Let us call you back!

Please enter a name
Name must contain some letters
Please enter a contact number
Please enter a valid contact number
Please select a reason

Please select a suitable date and time

Please select a suitable date
Please select a suitable time

Thank You

Thank you for your details, we will contact you shortly!

All you need to know about your cross-border letter

Wednesday, 4 December 2019

Are you looking forward to relaxing on a Mozambican beach, enjoying a secluded desert safari in Namibia, exploring the Okavango Delta in Botswana, or visiting family in Zimbabwe?

Whichever border you’ll be driving across these holidays, it’s important to make sure your paperwork is in order, and that includes your cross-border letter.


Why do you need a cross-border letter?

There are a couple of reasons why you need a cross-border letter. In a bid to crackdown on vehicle theft, the government has implemented safety measures to ensure that all cars crossing the South African border are legitimately leaving and returning to the country. A cross-border letter also proves that you have the required insurance to drive the car in the country you’re travelling to. When you have Comprehensive Vehicle Insurance with Auto & General, you are covered in South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, and Zimbabwe.


What does a border letter include?

A cross-border letter from Auto & General will state what kind of vehicle insurance you have and whether or not your car is covered in the country you’re travelling to. It’s extremely important to check that your vehicle is covered before leaving South Africa, as some countries may hold you personally liable for any damage your vehicle might cause. This letter also helps to prove that you legitimately own the vehicle and aren’t trying to illegally take it across the border.


How do you get a cross-border letter?

With our years of insurance experience, we’ve made it easy for you to get your cross-border letter – simply log into your profile online to request it. You’ll need to fill in a few basic details, such as which country you’re travelling to and what dates you’ll be there, and we’ll automatically email it straight to you. No-fuss, no hassles.


What other documents do you need to cross a border?

In addition to having a cross-border letter from your insurance company, there are some other documents you should have with you if you want a smooth border-crossing.

  • Passports for you and your passengers.
  • Valid driver’s licence.
  • Certified vehicle registration papers.
  • If your car is still financed by the bank, you’ll need a letter confirming you have permission to take it out the country.
  • A letter of authority from the car hire company if you are renting a vehicle.


Border regulations can differ between countries, so in addition to the standard documentation above, be sure to thoroughly research what you need to enter and exit a specific country.


No matter where you’re headed over the holidays, Auto & General has the experience to ensure you and your loved ones have everything you need for a safe and relaxing trip. Talk to us today to find out how we can assist you.


Sources: Drive South Africa; Wesbank


Five ways to safeguard your home from criminals these holidays
How much car insurance cover do I need?