Experience has taught us that when South Africans unite, we can do so much more. That’s why, this Mandela Month, Auto & General Insurance encourages you to spend 67 minutes of your time knitting a scarf for someone who desperately needs it. Here’s how you can take part in this incredible project, which is inspired by the 67 Blankets for Nelson Mandela Day initiative.
- Spend 67 minutes of your time knitting or crocheting a scarf and nominate friends and family to do the same.
- Once done, leave the scarf in a public area for people in need to find, with a message of hope (see below for some examples).
- Then, post a picture of the scarf (in the place you left it) on Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #AutoandGeneral. We’ll also do our part and donate funds to a soup kitchen in Diepsloot, in association with The Food Security Programme. It’s that simple. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- H/8, 5.00mm hook
- Yarn Needle
- A scarf pattern, a variety of which can be found here: https://bit.ly/3eNziWw.
- If you’re new to this, take a look at these step-by-step beginner videos for crocheting or knitting a scarf.
- And lastly, a message of hope that goes with the scarf in your language of choice. Here are some examples:
- English: I am not lost. If you are cold and need me, please take me.
- Afrikaans: Ek is nie verlore nie. Neem my asseblief as u koud is en my nodig het.
- Sesotho: Ha kea lahleha. Haeba o hatsetse mme wa ntlhoka, nkuke.
- Isizulu: Angilahlekile. Uma ubanda futhi ungidinga, ngicela ungithathe.
- IsiXhosa: Andilahlekanga. Ukuba uyabanda kwaye uyandidinga, nceda undithathe.
- Setswana: Ha ka latlhega. Ge eba o gatsetse, mme wa ntlhoka, ntsaye.
- Tshivenda: Athingo xela. Arali nikho upfa phepho, navha nitshi khou ntoda, ndi kho humbela ni nzhie.
- Sepedi: Ga ka lahlega. Ge o ekwa go tonya le gona o ntlhoka, ke kgopela o ntsee.
- Xitsonga: Ani lahlekani. Loko u titimela u ni lava, nikombela u ni teka.
Learn more about 67 blankets for Mandela Day and the events they host throughout the year here.